Our service is free to all those eligible for care in New Zealand hospitals
You must have a Lead Maternity Carer (LMC)
Expectant mums wanting to give birth at The Birthing Centre must choose a Lead Maternity Carer who has signed an access agreement to use the facility, and supports the centre’s vision and values.
Choosing the right LMC for you is crucial. It’s important you find a Lead Maternity Carer with whom you connect, and who shares your vision. The right one will give you the tools and information to make the appropriate decisions for you and your baby, and will respect your choices about birth and post-natal care.
You need to find a midwife who will support your choice to pursue a birth without intervention. This understanding and goal should be made clear from the outset.
1. Think about how you visualise your birth, and discuss this with potential LMC's. It is your choice to have a birth without intervention – communicate this to your LMC. Your LMC needs to be on board with this from the outset.
2. You’re free to interview LMC's on their philosophy and history before you choose which one is right for you.
3. You have the right to change LMC if you’re not comfortable.
4. Ask lots of questions. You may like to ask:
5. Ask for personal recommendations. Speak to friends who have recently given birth. Ask them what they liked about their LMC and if they would recommend her.
6. Be as informed as possible. New Zealand College of Midwives has a website full of useful information relating to midwives: www.findyourmidwife.co.nz
7. Speak to your GP about LMC's in your area.
8. The Ministry of Health has a maternity helpline - 0800 Mum2Be (0800 686 223) – that can provide you with contact details for LMC's in your area.
9. Cast your net of mums wider by asking online mums’ forums or relevant local Facebook groups for advice.
10. www.ngamaia.co.nz offers contact details for Maori LMC's.
11. Contact us at Birthing Centre - we can tell you which LMC's share our vision and values, and are registered to birth at the centre.
“A woman gives birth once, but relives it a thousand times.” (Carolyn Fasnacht)